Sunday, October 01, 2006

From Margate to Whitstable and back again



On my other Blog I've written a report about MFC's exciting FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round match against Whitstable yesterday.

My day started early and badly ( a traffic hold-up on the North Circular Road at Ilford). Despite this, I managed to collect Lord Pay of Sutton-at-Hone (nr Dartford) before continuing our journey to collect my father from Westgate-on-Sea . Lunch, consisting of Marks & Spencer (Temple Fortune) sandwiches/rolls and wonderful trifles, was taken at around 12.30pm. Then we three, with a combined age of nearly 200 (Many of which supporting Margate FC) ventured back down the Thanet Way ( or Chav Crescent according to a local journalist ) to see Margate win at tiny Whitstable FC.

So from Margate to Whitstable and back again. But the day wasn't finished there - no not a bit of it. September 30th, saw the culmination of the "Margate Exodus" and with it the burning at Dreamland of the Antony Gormley structure - now that was a site to behold! Luckily, the three of us where in the right place at the right time to see it burn to the ground.

Above is a picture of my father enjoying a hearty evening meal of Haddock & Chips and to the right, yours truly, gesticulating with a "Turner" sunset behind me.

What's this got to do with my Trek training? Well nothing, as it's important to realise that there is a life outside fund-raising.

No comments: